Sorry for the long video (and for the assembly portion not entirely being in camera view)…but I finally got around to making a video of the guard rail, catch fence, and lighting solution I’ve been working on.
This has been a ‘work in progress’ for several weeks but I think it turned out well.
I have uploaded the 3D printed part files to Thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4262123 and I am also putting together pricing and purchasing options that will be available soon.
If you do like the parts I design, the content I make, and/or would like to help me continue to develop new stuff and content, please consider making a small donation via the “Tip Designer” on Thingiverse or with PayPal using the following link:
Here’s how I did it:
1.) Design and 3D print parts
– Support Block (connects to the track, holds the 1/8″ rod for guard rails and 1/4″ aluminum tubing for light posts)
– Post Cap (used on the end of light posts that will not have an actual USB light – you don’t need a light in every position. I space mine about every 3-5 support blocks)
– Post to USB Housing Adapter (connects the light post to the USB housing)
– USB Light Housing (this keeps the light on the track and not in your eyes and also just makes it look better)
– Mesh clamp inside and outside pieces (this snaps onto the light post and clamps the catch fence into place using M3 x 8 screws)
– AutoDesk “Fusion 360” – for 3D modeling/CAD
– Simplify 3D – for generating the 3D printing process and the ‘gcode’ used by the 3D printer.
– 3D Printing Filament: “Prusament” PETG
– 1/8 ” steel rods (for the guard rails): https://www.lowes.com/pd/100-Pack-Insulation-Support-Common-23-5-in-Actual-23-5-in/1007637
– 1/4″ Aluminum Tubing (for the light posts): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BRQ2EA/
– USB Lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGTB4HO/
– USB Connector w/housing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0727Q8VV4/
– 22ga wire: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKNPGFJ/
– KwikMesh (for the catch fence): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LX7OJQ/
– U-Molding (for the KwikMesh edging):
– M3 x 8 Allen head machine screws (for fastening the KwikMesh to the light posts): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJ9BRCK/
– Gray automotive spray paint
3.) Specialty Tools (does not include ‘normal’ tools i.e. screwdrivers, allen wrenches, soldering iron, wire cutters/stripper, etc..):
– 3D Printer: Prusa MK3s: https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/180-original-prusa-i3-mk3-kit.html
– Tubing Cutter: https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-1-125-in-Multipurpose-Pipe-Cutter/1000668049
– Tubing Bender https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S8DQBNL/
If you’ve read this far, I am impressed…
Leave a comment and let me know what you think and if you would like more information/video content on this.
Thanks for watching.
Have fun and keep racing!
Jeff (Garage Maker Guy)